Thursday, January 3, 2008

Who is Mike Huckabee?

Who is Mike Huckabee

When I started this blog dude was so low on the poll I didn’t include him. However, I must admit I was impressed when I saw him on the Colbert show last year. It appears he definitely got the “Colbert Bump” in the poll. As I said in the beginning this race is not for the faint at heart because there was so much time for a candidate to make mistakes or take the lead. This holds true for the Democratic race, Clinton built up a significant lead over her opponents only to have that shorten as the caucus draws near.

However, this isn’t about nutcracker Hilary; it’s about Big Mike. Who is this guy and what’s his agenda? Mike is the 44th Republican Governor of Arkansas (1996-2007). He’s an author and heavily involved in policy based organization such as the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) and Education Commission of the States (ECS). It should also be noted the Big Mike is also involved in oil and energy commissions and has lobbied on behalf of energy matters.

What I found to be the most interesting and I think this will be big for a Republican voter is his background outside of politics. A significant part of Mike’s adult life was spent as a pastor and denominational leader. He became the youngest president ever of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention, the largest denomination in Arkansas. Huckabee led rapidly growing congregations in Pine Bluff and Texarkana. He said those experiences gave him a deep sense of the problems faced by individuals and families.

So what does that mean? Basically, if you guessed Mike is conservative then you would be very right! Unlike Guiliani, Huckabee is very open and direct about his politics. There really isn’t any gray area. I’m banking that he hopes the same evangelicals and conservative Republican that elected Bush will go out and do the same for him. He doesn’t have some of the issues that some of the other Republican candidates might have. He’s not too old like McCain, he built up enough momentum to garner support unlike Thompson who was late in the game, as I said he’s conservative on issues unlike Guiliani; last but not least he’s not Mormon like Romney.

So at the end of the day, you have someone who supports the war and will continue to fund it. He is someone who is pro-life, fiscally conservative (he’s not quite a communist but he does want to do away with big government) and against universal healthcare to the extent government is in control. He is more about preventative healthcare just read his 4th book. He’s against same-sex marriages, pro-guns, and lastly he has some stringent plans on border control and immigration.

So if you are a true conservative at heart then it doesn’t get any better than Huckabee. Dude just might pull it off in Iowa…stay tuned.

2 comments:

rashad said...

Well he pulled it off in Iowa, and while I don't think he'll win the Republican nomination, I think this victory alone will win him more ears, which is gives him a fighting chances. I know Romney and Giuliani have definitely taken notice

kEc said...

He's the underdog so he will do well in the Southern States. I think its up in the air for NH.